2.5.12

The Birth of a Giraffe


Many years ago, I used to work for Phuket Zoo, taking care of macaws. During this time came an exciting moment when one of the three giraffes was ready to give birth. About 10 of us were on hand to assist in a birth that no one had ever witnessed before. The veterinarian was barking orders and our female giraffe was tied up by her legs and with a noose around her neck. This was tricky, since every time she went into a labor spasm, she would swing that long neck in our direction. Not to mention that we were in constant danger of being kicked. We persevered, trying to assist the vet as best we could. When the baby was just about to appear, the rope holding the giraffe’s head in front and close to the rail, came undone. Not even thinking about my own safety, I grabbed the rope, thinking only about the safety of all the people at the giraffe’s rear end. Before I could re-secure that rope, the baby was well on it’s way and mother giraffe swung her head straight in my direction. I got wacked so hard, that I went flying backwards, landing head first in giraffe shit!!!
Even in the middle of all the excitement, everybody burst out laughing….. I was rather embarrassed when I touched my head and found that the entire back of my head was covered with giraffe poop. Needless to say, I was the laughing stock of that group!! I immediately got up, red-faced and with crap all over me, and helped the others with what was left to do. I was so embarrassed that today I can’t remember what came next.

What I do remember, is that the baby was unable to get up. The mother giraffe had outright rejected her own baby. No matter what we did, mama wanted no part of this male infant!!
Now what?? Eventually we were left with no choice but to carry the infant to where I slept, for its own safety. It became very clear that this momma was about to kill her calf.
After the baby was safely tucked away, 16 boys tried to get milk from momma for about 3 days, without success. No matter how narrow a space we had put her into, she simply was having no part of it. There was only one alternative. Try to get goat’s milk as a substitute. This was easier said than done. Many animals can only strive if they are fed on goat’s milk. However, try as we might, there were no goats on Phuket Island or in any area nearby.
Sadly, me and my now ex-husband were the last people to see the baby giraffe alive. Cow’s milk could not sustain it. I cried for several days afterwards, but still remained the laughing stock of Phuket Zoo staff!!!
Some months later we found out that the mother had a serious calcium deficiency, which was why the baby giraffe was unable to get up after its birth. Hopefully the situation has been rectified now and they have successfully had baby giraffes as an addition to the zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment