23.4.11

Tweet - The Conclusion

Tweet, the baby nok gachok has occupied my room since April 14th and believe me, there was never a dull moment. Whether I was sitting at the computer or having my lunch, Tweet was constantly chattering away. There were moments where I couldn't help but ask myself, doesn't this bird ever shut up?!
If Tweet was hungry, the chattering only got louder and more demanding. If that wasn't enough to attract my attention, he would fly past my face, make circles and land on the TV, the floor, my pillow!!!!!
That did it! Either he was going to be fed NOW or I'd never see the end of it. Tweet had conquered my hut and my heart.
During his stay in my room, I began noticing another bird of the same species in the trees near my house.
I thought, "the day of freedom is near and Tweet now has a friend". I noticed that this adult was diliberately hanging around the hut, while inside my room, Tweet was happily chattering away.
The big day finally came. This morning, before morning chanting, I noticed the adult again, this time very close to my hut. I took Tweet and placed him on the branch of a young tree. After morning chanting I came back to see whether Tweet was still where I had left him. He was gone. I sat on the steps of my neighbor's hut with a cup of coffee, waiting to see a sign of Tweet. The sign came soon enough. I heard his chattering coming from the large mango tree in front of my house. A few seconds later, much to my surprise, I saw 2 adults sit on the branch where I had left Tweet, with food clamped in their beaks. One disappeared into the mango tree where Tweet was and the other bird soon followed. After observing this a few times, the chattering in the tree stopped. These 2 adults had officially adopted Tweet and were taking care of him.
A feeling of total satisfaction filled me. It's a feeling that's hard to describe. Knowing that my baby bird had finally obtained his freedom was the climax of the day and especially rewarding, after having to clean bird shit in my room for a week.

One success story, hopefully soon to be followed by another one. There is still the baby male black kauwow, that will be ready to embrase freedom in the not too distant future. Will keep my audience informed when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment